Our adoption process is designed to help you and the right dog find each other. Our goal is to place each dog into a permanent, safe, and loving home.
To adopt a German Shepherd Dog from us, you must:
- Live in Northern California.
- Complete an Adoption Questionnaire, either online, or hard-copy (pdf format). If you do not own your home, your landlord must provide the completed Landlord Letter (pdf format).
- Be interviewed by an adoption counselor.
- Allow a home visit conducted by a GSRNC adoption counselor.
- Choose, and be chosen by, the right dog.
- With our approval, sign our Adoption Agreement, and pay the associated adoption fee.
After we receive your online Adoption Questionnaire, a GSRNC adoption counselor will contact you to begin the process. We encourage potential adopters to come to one or more Adoption Events as this is the best way to meet several German Shepherds and to find your new companion. You may be able to adopt the same day, if all adoption requirements are met.
If you come to an Adoption Event before submitting an adoption questionnaire, the process of adopting can sometimes be accelerated depending on the availability of volunteers. Normally, all our requirements must be met before an adoption can be completed.
If you cannot come to any Adoption Event, we will try to assist you using email, the mail, and the telephone. This will probably take longer because the people who will help you are volunteers who usually have jobs and families, and the logistics associated with scheduling meetings with dogs can be complex because our dogs live in many foster homes and kennels.